Inside the villages! Walking through Mora lands

The region of Mora (and especially its county) has a high potential for activities related to nature and especially walks as well as all activities linked to the sport of the whole terrain.

In fact, summer or winter conditions are always good to practice these activities. The existence of water, rivers, streams, dams, marshes and sewers, tapirs and stones of prehistory, cork oaks and ancient olive trees framed in the Alentejo plain and a territory practically in its wild state, whether with images rarely or never before seen.

These terrain and landscape conditions have led, among other things, national and international organizations to choose it for the performance of diverse tests ranging from the international orientation meetings to the professional tests of all the terrain.


Mora and his term possibly arose before 1519 as parish. There are, however, records that lead to its origin in the proto-history of Portugal.

With the passing of the years the populations are growing and in the social aspect the great influence that the institutions of religious character have, as in the case of the Misericórdias, is verified.

At the beginning of our century, the railroad arrives to Mora thus creating conditions for industrialization. The development took place mainly in the areas related to cork, pottery, olive and tomato farming.

In Mora you must visit the House of Culture (Old Hospice of S. Nicolau Tolentino), Clock Tower (In the old building of the Town Hall), Mother Church of Our Lady of Grace, Hermitage of S. António, Church of the Misericórdia de Mora , the Megalithic Museological Museum and in the vicinity the Fluviário de Mora or the Cromeleque of Monte das Fontainhas.


The town of Cabeção was founded by the Order of Avis and raised to the rank of Vila in 1578, by King D. Sebastião, who granted the people the right to freely enjoy the pinewood, today the Cabeção National Forest. According to tradition, the present Vila had its origin in a called fifth of S. Salvador of the World, founded by the Order of Avis.


Cabeção is recognized internationally for its Sport Fishing Track, located in Ribeira do Raia, and for its wine, made in clay hoops, according to traditional methods.


It should also be noted that part of the parish's territory belongs to the "Sítio Cabeção", which is a proposed area to integrate the European Ecological Network (Natura 2000 Network PTCON0029).


The proof of the New Wine of Cabeção is already an event with national characteristics and consists of the visit to the Wineries to taste the new wine. It usually happens on the 2nd Saturday of December.

Brotas - Land of pilgrimages

This parish constituted until 1834 the county of Águias, which received a charter in 1520. The seat of this county was initially the village of Eagles, having passed in the late eighteenth century to the present settlement of Brotas.


The Church is undoubtedly one of the points of greatest local and regional interest due to the symbolism it represents for the faithful, saying that it was one of the greatest pilgrimage sites in Portugal. This closes a long street, flanked to the south by the facades of the set of buildings of the old inns of the multiple confrarias of invocation of the patron saint (being possible to be observed among others the buildings constructed, among others, by the Confrarias de Palmela, Setúbal and Évora with dates of the the 15th and 16th centuries, a magnificent collection of rustic buildings from the 16th and 17th centuries with a very marked imprint, identified by marble tombstones or sublimated ceramic panels, close to the Torre das Águias (National Heritage but unfortunately in rapid and strong degradation). would link to the cult of Our Lady of Brotas.

E Brotas também há para visitar a Olaria do  Sr. José Carlos Ramalhão, sentado na sua roda de oleiro, faz peças utilitárias e decorativas para diversas actividades na região.



The territory of Pavia has been inhabited since prehistoric times, as evidenced by the numerous megalithic monuments in the area and of which its tapir (transformed into Anta-Capela) is the main example.
The historical origins of the population, the oldest in the municipality of Mora, date back to a nucleus of Italian immigrants, established at the behest of King Afonso III or D. Dinis, who granted him the first charter in 1287.
The Manuel Ribeiro de Pavia Museum, located a few meters from the Anta-Capela, is related to a painter-illustrator here born and in it can be appreciated several original ones.
In this village lived likewise Fernando Namora that besides the profession of doctor wrote about this land, its people and highlighted the beautiful landscapes that lurk the village.
The Mother Church of S. Paulo, the Roman bridge, the gazebo and its house are also points of interest that deserve a long visit.


In the surroundings but a little distance from Mora there are other villages that can be visited being of note Avis and Arraiolos as well as the Dams of Montargil and Maranhão ...


(Note: see suggested routes)